Vintage Sewing – 1930s Dress – Simplicity D0579

I don’t have too much to say about this dress other than as soon as I saw the pattern on Ebay I nabbed it and made it ASAP. I used an ash grey bubble rayon crepe, modern of course and very lightweight. It came along very quickly with the only real sewing issue being the sleeve pleats at the shoulder. I had a bit of difficulty getting them positioned properly when attaching them to the bodice but I worked it out in a couple tries.

The other issue was the only invisible zipper I had was 5 inches shorter than the pattern called for. Do you think I waited to get the proper length zipper? … I found out that those extra 5 inches would have been super helpful when pulling this over my head. I just have to squeeze into this dress just like every other 1930s dress I own. I’m quite skilled at it by now, I suppose.

I purchased this fabric when I was back home in Michigan for Christmas and I brought the fabric back but forgot my matching thread! So I had to use black which shows up a bit annoyingly on the pocket edges so I may re-attach those in grey at some point. And I should have used interfacing on them as they sag a bit in this drapey fabric but I didn’t want them to look too stiff either. Can’t have it both ways!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s