I just finished making view 1 of this pattern but I also made view 2 earlier this year. I never found the time to post about it so I’ll add some notes on that one too. Also, I do realize this pattern is for children or teenagers but it was too cute and it has worked out rather well for me regardless.
I think I snagged this pattern on Ebay last winter. So adorable. I loved view 2 and made that first. I assumed right away that the 30″ bust would be insanely tiny for me so I added a few inches and discovered that well, I was way off. Ended up going with the 30″ bust pattern as it was, I guess because the style is very open there was enough room. I used a red cotton lawn from my stash and it turned out better than expected. I struggled a bit with the narrow hemming on the ties and sleeves and ultimately used an overcast stitch on them but they don’t look too terrible even if they’re not very true to the period.
With view 1 I did some measuring and it looked as if it might fit again without adjustments so I went for it with some vintage floral silk I have been hoarding for years. The blouse was pretty quick with only a few pleats at the shoulders and gathering on the sleeves. The sleeve cuffs were very tight so I removed them and added an inch or so to the cuff piece and now they fit nicely. The armholes are a bit high and snug but I think they work well for the style, just tighter than I prefer. In the future I will lower them a bit and extend the sleeve cap to fit. The neckline is also too tight to pull together at the center neck but I like the look of it as an open v-neck. Next time I might eliminate the slashing at the center neck and just add a back zip to keep the Peter Pan collar nice and neat in the front. As cute as the pockets are in the pattern image, they easily got lost with my busy print so I ended up only adding one but with an obvious “handmade” running stitch to help it stand out.
What I really got fed up with was attempting the recommended bias binding technique at the neckline, it was way too bulky and wouldn’t lay right. I ended up going with the tried and true Hug Snug. I can always count on it to help me out with a troublesome seam! I also left off the tie belt as the top was already snug fitting enough and it would only get in the way when wearing it tucked in, which I plan to do.
All in all it turned out rather well for a quick one day project. I guess I’m on a roll with these last two but I know it’s only a matter of time before disaster if I keep mostly winging it. 😉
Last year my internet friend Alessandra of Gothwave on Etsy offered to mail me a box of vintage sewing patterns and, duh, I accepted. Plenty of great 60s ones and even a few from the 40s. That’s where this pattern came from. The collar immediately sucked me in. I knew right away what fabric I wanted to use, a vintage floral & berry print I picked up from Happy Corner General Store on Etsy.
I finally had the chance to try it out over Christmas break with my new machine. I measured the pattern pieces and was fairly certain it would fit with maybe a bit of an armhole shift so I just dove right in. No muslin. (Usually that’s the worst idea any one could ever have, ever. Just FYI.) I didn’t end up having to make any alterations. (!!!) And I just happened to have the perfect buttons in my stash.
The only real issue I encountered was that my new machine’s buttonhole foot tends to make the holes a bit too big and lots of movement causes them to unfasten. Oops. I didn’t realize this until after I’d already made them all, of course. I guess I will just be making lots of use of double-sided tape. I’d love to try this out in something with lots of drape and make the long sleeve version in the future. Definitely a new go-to blouse.