I bought this pattern a few months back and was waiting on the right fabric to make it up but, as usual, I got impatient last weekend. I had some very soft lightweight rayon crepe in my stash so I pulled out the black and decided to give it a try without any adjustments to the pattern. (Horrifying, I know!) I quickly realized I didn’t have enough of the black so I decided to colorblock with the the blue. I wasn’t sure if the colors worked but went ahead as a) I fully expected this to not work out and b) I was just desperate to sew anything.
The pattern is a vintage size 14, 32″ bust so I anticipated it being too small for me and decided to halve all the seam allowances. I just wasn’t thinking of all the panels and that I only needed an inch or two extra not four! Of course I only realized this after sewing the front and back together so I just took in the side seams a few inches in the end. It is still a little too big but with a belt I think it works fine. It also allowed me to forgo the side zipper and just add the one at the back neckline. I did use an invisible zipper though (shudders) but the vintage gods have yet to strike me down. Yet.
Overall I’m really happy with how this turned out and I love the colors together! I love the sleeves, they’re so drapey with the perfect amount of puff. They’re a little bit droopy at the shoulders but I think it’s because the fabric has no structure and there should be some sort of shoulder padding in there. I added the bow at the last minute and may still tweak that a bit. The mother of pearl belt buckle I had in my stash from when I last visited my family in Michigan. I found a whole stock pile of them at an antique mall.
I’ve been saying I am going to make this for years at this point. Someday…
This dress is darling. I have lots of kids’ patterns I should be posting. I don’t have kids, I guess I forget other people do. 😉